Monday, August 9, 2010

Beezus and Ramona

I haven't had the chance to watch the movie Beezus and Ramona but I am excited about it! Beverly Cleary was one of my favorite authors when I was about 6 years old. I've read every book she has every written although my favorite character of hers is still Ramona. I love the spunkiness and creativity Ramona possesses and wanted to be just like her! During that time, they were casting Ramona for a TV show in Canada. I remember tearing out the application page of in my Ramona book, filling it out, and sending it to Canada. I didn't even know how many stamps to put on but found a bunch of stamps and made sure I stuck enough on the envelope so the postman would not send it back.  I was so naive to think they would want to cast a little Asian girl with longer hair as a brunette, caucasian girl with a short pixie hairdo! It sure brings back a ton of memories. Beverly Cleary truly is a genius at creating likable characters that kids can relate to. In fact, you can access a free online copy of Beezus and Ramona before you watch the movie. Beverly Cleary also has a fun website that showcases all her characters and includes lots of fun games your child can have fun playing while reading her books! It's a fun way to get your kids to read a true American classic!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails